There are two ways to use shave cream, with a brush or without a brush.
I will explain how to do it, step by step, later.
Shaving cream comes in a tub, jar, and can. Still I recommend for you to pick tub or jar.
How about canned shave cream?
Well, you maybe can save more time using can, but it contain propellant which is not good for your skin and the smell is unpleasant.
Unlike canned, cream that comes in tub or jar, have a variety of scent to choose from.
Some of them used essential oil which have therapeutic properties and they also give better shave result than canned shave cream did.
Whatever cream which you’re going to use, it’s important to properly prep your face.
Mostly, I only need about one or two minutes, but it’s may vary depends on the person.
First, I start washing my hand thoroughly with soap and a lot warm water.
Following step is begin to rinse the area you want to shave also with warm-to-hot water and don’t forget your neck area as well.
How about pre-shave oil?
Although it may help with lubrication throughout shaving, you won’t need it if you use the right amount of cream.
However, after-shave is one thing you should consider.
How to Use Shaving Cream?
Without a Brush
Like I said before,
You can use shave cream without a brush (brushless). Keep in mind, if you want to do this, you should use brushless cream.
As the name suggest, brushless cream (commonly come in tub) isn’t require a brush when lathering, because it can easily lather just by using your hands.
How I do this:
- Prep your face and hands with warm water.
- Squeeze a dollop of cream into your palm and rub hands together, make sure to distribute evenly.
- Apply the cream gently in circular motion into the skin for at least 30 seconds.
- Soaked your hands, but not wash off remaining lather , just to make your hands wet.
- Keep on massage cream into your skin for another 15 seconds.
- Wait 30 seconds. Then shave passionately.
If you shave in passes, and lathering for every pass, you don’t have to wait thirty seconds again, simply the first one.
However, make sure to quickly rinse between passes to keep the skin wet.
With a Brush
There are benefits when using lathering cream with a brush, Experience old ritual shaving which more enjoyable and feel luxurious.
Feel the tenderness of the lather plus the freshness that comes from the scent. Anyway, this is what I feel, you will not get it if using another means.
Does it take longer when lathering cream with a brush?
Maybe in the first, after you take several practice, I guarantee the result will more pleasant.
Here the step:
- After prep your face (look preparation section), fill the sink with warm water and dip the brush into water.
- Take a nickel size of cream (for jar) or just squeeze it (for tub) and place it in the center of your brush.
- Next step is to build lather. I prefer lathering in a bowl or mug, so I can see how the brush is generating lather. However, you can also do it directly on the face which can save some time. If you want to warm the later, you should dip bowl into the sink at the same time you dip the brush.
- Now comes the tricky part. Remember practice makes perfect, you won’t get the right consistency in your first try. Start pressing brush in circular motion into bowl or on your face. Do this about 30 seconds then wet the tip of the brush and go over again. If you still confuse about lathering, try to get for a shiny, somewhat loose consistency with soft peaks without any bubbles.
- Then shaving.
Tips To Keep Your Lather Warm
If you need to make multiple passes and want to keep the lather warm (I presume you are using a bowl or mug), here some simple tips:
- After you lathering, place the bowl or mug in the sink.
- Fill the sink with hot water until reached about half way up.
- Your lather will stay warm and you can get another shave with no worries.
Some on you probably already know or have done it. Good for you. For others whom doesn’t know, I hope it can help.